Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Beginning drawing

This week I will complete a beginning drawing class... again, for the first time in more than 30 years. It was valuable to repeat basic studies in contour, negative space, perspective and shadow. I am reminded of the need to practice technique regularly in order to have the skill necessary to create the imagine in my mind's eye.

Many class activities were taken from A Course in Enhancing Creativity and Artistic Confidence: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards. The final exercise was a portrait drawing, using a grid to map a photo image to paper. The technique aids in the creation of a successful drawing. Here, my work in progress, Mascara (16" x 20", pencil on paper).

Most of all, returning to the basics reawakened confidence and inspiration. I am filled with more images than there are days in a lifetime. I best get busy creating!
Mascara - Graphite