Monday, April 20, 2009

Art for art's sake

Political art. Art with a message. Art on the edge.

Thinking I must push the boundaries of art to have merit in the art community, I have been paralyzed by self-imposed pressure to create the unique and perfect picture, with a profound message. I wrestled with this thought, as the pictures in my mind's eye seemed common and, in turn, of little value.

Yet as I began to draw those everyday things closest to me, I found a pure desire to create -- art for art's sake. This creative force is unique to each of us; perfect in it's expression. This is art's message.

I had a strong desire to create a drawing working from a dark graphite background, using an eraser primarily to form the image. My black and white cat seemed the perfect subject. The image emerged from the paper much like a sculpture might emerge from stone. The unexpected result was a soft texture in the mid-tones, conveying the feeling of fur.

Surely this is not the first image of a cat drawn from a graphite base, but it is my individual expression of this one cat. And so it seems, as I press my own boundaries, I remain on edge. And by keeping the "art for art's sake" discussion alive, the political dialogue continues. So perhaps, this is it. Art.

Whiskers and Fur I - Graphite