Saturday, March 21, 2009

It takes time to see a flower

"When you take a flower in your hand and really look at it, it's your world for the moment." Georgia O'Keeffe

I am fascinated by the delicate, graceful poppy -- how the green pods unfold like a ballerina dancing -- how the fragile petals crinkle like a fine rice paper.

When I draw a flower, it captures my attention. It is my mediation: the noise of the world fades to peace-filled quiet. In this sketch, I was intrigued by the fine "hairs" on the stem of the poppy.

I opened this entry with a quote from Georgia O'Keefe that speaks of this meditative experience. It takes time to see, really see. When someone tells me, "I can't draw," I suggest they first take time to see - line, form, relationship, texture, light, dark, color. And feel. This is where we begin.

Consider another well-known quote from Georgia O'Keefe -

"Nobody sees a flower - really - it is so small it takes time - we haven't time - and to see takes time, like having a friend takes time."