Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Road Home

In 1994, I spent time riding my bike about the Pleasanton valley taking photographs of what remained of old farms and open space. A view from the south end of Foothill Road was particularly beautiful one fall morning, as sunlight danced through the leaves and shadows painted the roadway.

I've wanted to paint this scene for some time, using an Impressionistic style - a significant shift in style after working on several detailed drawings. The softening of vision and releasing of control challenged me in new ways and caused me to explore different aspects of myself.

I also wanted to use a limited palette, with simplicity of color to express the quiet yet vibrant moment. For this I chose a split complement of green, orange and purple, working with Sap Green, Prussian Blue, Brown Madder, Indian Yellow and Payne's Gray.

The Road Home - Watercolor - 10" X 20"

No comments:

Post a Comment